The "Spanish SKA Day" was held at the Instituto de Astrofísica de Andalucía (IAA-CSIC, Granada) on October 23, 2014.
During this meeting, both scientific and Spanish engineers reviewed the current status of the SKA project from two separate points of view. It is important to highlight the active role of the Spanish scientific community in the preparation and operation of SKA, while raising awareness of the level and quality of involvement of Spanish technology companies and groups in the current phase of SKA preconstruction. This meeting also informed the industry of their options for participation in the next stages, especially the construction.
Currently nine Spanish research centers and 11 companies are contributing to the SKA design in 6 work packages with an economic value of ~ € 2M, officially recognized by the SKA Board. Members of MINECO are also being invited on a regular basis, to participate in the Board meetings. In January, the RIA Steering Committee approved the recommendation by the working group "Infrastructure in Radio Astronomy" on the interest of the scientific community and industry in which Spain could explore the possibility of participating in the SKA project as full member before the start of the construction phase (2017).
In support and recognition of all the efforts made by the Spanish research groups and industry groups, SKA Director General, Prof. Phil Diamond has confirmed his participation in the Spanish SKA Day.
The Scientific Organizing Committee of the Spanish SKA day consists of:
• Chair: Lourdes Verdes-Montenegro, Institute of Astrophysics of Andalusia (CSIC)
• José Carlos Guirado, University of Valencia
• Antxon Alberdi, Instituto de Astrofísica de Andalucía (CSIC)
• Painted Jesus Martin, Centre for Astrobiology (CSIC)
• Kauzar Saleh, Centre for the Development of Industrial Technology (CDTI)
• Jordi Torra, University of Barcelona
• R. Rebolo, Institute of Astrophysics of the Canary Islands
• Rafael Bachiller (National Astronomical Observatory)
• Enrique Martinez, Instituto de Fisica de Cantabria (CSIC)
• Javier Gorgas, Universidad Complutense de Madrid
• Marisa Vargas, Fractal SLNE
Coordination is provided by ISC Intelligence in Science as one of the initiators of AERAP, together with the South African Mission to the EU.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or +32 2 8888 111